Executive Head Chef
Ullswater Road, Penrith, Cumbria, North Lakes CA11 8QT 54.655274 -2.758429
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
We’re looking for an Executive Head Chef to join the busy North Lakes Hotel & Spa
With the recent and substantial investment in the hotel’s restaurant, Fyr this is a very exciting time to join the business.
You will be responsible for a diverse team, serving the highest standard of food seven days per week. The kitchen can serve over a thousand meals per week including breakfast, lunch, dinner, conference & events and room service.
Your day to day;
- You will be responsible for ensuring that ingredients are stored, prepared, cooked and presented to the highest standard that meets our guests’ requirements and complies with food safety guidelines
- Ensuring a clean and hygienic kitchen environment is maintained at all times, following food safety management procedures and keeping the necessary records that meet internal and external standards
- Support the development of and contribute to reviewing and refreshing menus and dishes in line with business requirements and other external factors
- Use provided technology to aid menu planning, purchasing and safety procedures
- Collaborate with hotels’ leadership team to ensure a safe environment for both guests and staff
- You will constantly focus on improving the performance of your team and yourself, consistently achieving targets and delivering results
Who are we looking for?
You will be able to demonstrate a keen business sense, producing menu items and directing a team in line with commercial and customer requirements delivering the highest level of quality.
Someone with a proven track record of designing rotas that allow you to forecast and manage labour costs. You must understand the need to consider team characteristics and their collective productivity, looking to improve and deliver standards in the most efficient way possible.
You will be comfortable collaborating with other senior chefs in the group, sharing best practices in recruitment, retention and developing talented individuals.
From your experience you will be able to identify ways that business strategy, customer profile, culture and constraints influence the development of creative, profitable and competitive menus. You will be able to foresee market and business scenarios that present risks and opportunities to the business.
Someone who can set measurable, challenging goals for all team members, finding ways to improve staff knowledge and their approach, coaching and mentoring all kitchen managers. Experience of designing technical training and development content would be beneficial. You will be working closely with the hotel’s Head of People & Development to build Individual Development Plans for you team using the Chef Academy as the main development route for chefs.
You will have a grasp of the principles of supply chain management, waste management, sustainable procurement and working practices in the kitchen. Understanding the principles of profit and loss and recognising how you can support the overall financial performance of the business through an efficient operation building on past experience to set and achieve annual budgets.
In return, we are offering a rewarding role with scope for career progression along with;
- A competitive salary, negotiable dependent on experience
- 28 days annual leave (rising to 33 days after 5 years)
- Health cash plan
- Generous employee discounts
- Life assurance
- Bespoke training programmes accessible to all
- An engaging & supportive work environment
North Lakes Hotel & Spa is ideally placed at the gateway to the Lake District National Park, near Penrith, so as you might expect it welcomes guests from around the world. It is a four-star property that has developed a strong reputation among leisure and business guests, with 84 guest rooms, 11 meeting rooms, a recently refurbished restaurant, bar and spa it's a busy place to work. It is part of The House of Daniel Thwaites, a unique collective of Inns, Hotels & Spas offering warm hospitality and high-quality service in a welcoming environment.
Thwaites was established in 1807 and to this day remains a family run Business. We have Hotels, Inns, Pubs and a Brewery and are focused on providing superb hospitality in outstanding properties in great locations –
What are you Thwaiting for?
North Lakes Hotel & Spa